Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CEL out, cannot pull OBD1 codes. How to fix?
Hi all. For background I have a 1993 Suzuki Sidekick JX with 2 door soft-top, 1.6L G16A 8v motor, 3 speed automatic, 4x4 w/ auto hubs, 226k miles and I think it'll make 300k with the work I'm putting in!
[For the record I have been reading this site for a year and have so much more to learn yet. First I want to thank the man who made this site. Just, WOW and thank you! Anyways:]

When I first got this car I was having some steering/grinding from the front end, a noticeable lack of power but not in limphome mode AND a misfire... so I just replaced ALL of this: inner and outer tie rod ends on both sides, wheel bearing for left side (right already done by previous owner), right front brake caliper, new brakes (rotors were good), left front CV axle.. that took care of my front end.

I also got a new battery (acid stratified), new spark plug wires (2 shocked me, unbelievable that this car worked), new spark plugs (no oil on them thank god, but white..), a new distributor cap and rotor (moisture was getting in). That took care of my ignition for the most part and the issues I had with moisture are gone.

I also got a new air filter (and changed my oil/filter obviously) as I understand a misfire can come from one of three areas: Fuel, Air, Ignition. When I pulled my plugs: the tips were white (indicating a rich condition? or maybe they were just old?). I'm researching how to fix my rich/lean condition which is what got me to where I am. Anyways:

The main issue that I have is so simple and if I can fix it, then I can fix the rest of my truck most likely. My left, outer-most lights on my dash are out. It is the Check Engine Light, the oil light AND the left turn signal light (the signal still clicks and works as it should, it is just the light is out). All other dash lights work perfectly. It is just those 3.. the 2 outermost (CEL and oil) on that row and then the left turn blinker in my dash.

Question: Do I have a fuse out? Or is it one bulb? Or multiple bulbs? How do I fix this? (Please dont say I have to pull the whole dash)... I need my CEL to work because my truck has OBD1+paperclip jumper on 2+3 diagnostics and without the CEL working: I cannot pull codes to find out exactly what is going on.

My biggest problem now.. besides researching how to get my air/fuel mixture right and improve my 20mpg gas mileage..is that I am losing power/ RPM's while going uphill. Noticeably. I suspect my fuel filter may be clogged and uphill causes gravity to make the pump work harder. So I am going to change the fuel filter. I have no sounds from my pump (I think, I do have a slight tapping when I accelerate..happens most when it is cold or I first start it up.. and it goes away after a few minutes..I can't pinpoint where it comes from but may be injectors? does a failing pump make THAT sound? It is just a light tapping that does not sound like rod knock or lifters ..I think) Anyways..

..I read the instructions on how to depressurize the fuel lines and I am going to replace the fuel filter as I believe that is my problem. (If not then maybe a fuel pump or clean my fuel injector? I only have the one as it is the TBI set up) I am also going to run a fuel system cleaner through it in case my injectors are clogged (but if they were then it would do it all of the time and not only uphill?) AND I am also going to clean my throttle body as that is just good practice. (Tight on cash this week, get paid weekly and do a repair weekly, throttle body cleaning is my "off week" maintenance)

Anyways the main question is in regards to the CEL. Is it a bulb or a fuse- how would I fix this so I can pull my codes? The CEL fix is my starting point because if I can pull codes then I can fix what I need to instead of just replacing everything and starting at the cheapest.

Messages In This Thread
CEL out, cannot pull OBD1 codes. How to fix? - by z1joshmon - 06-25-2020, 02:02 AM