Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gunpowder burning smell when accelerating
Hi guys first post here. This is gonna be a long one so I'll try to lay everything out as simply as possible.

I have a '88 Samurai with a '93 Sidekick 1.6L 16V with manual transmission swapped in. I'm in California, so everything is compliant with smog. It has a new muffler and piping, but not sure if the cat was replaced when that was installed. I noticed a gunpowder like burning smell when i accelerate heavily. I had CEL code 51 for EGR and found that my fuel injector pressure damper was leaking and the fuel was dripping on the EGR temp probe causing an incorrect reading and throwing the CEL. I'm assuming this put the car in limphome mode and caused it to run rich (thus the smell). However, I've replaced the pressure damper and there is no more fuel leak. The CEL is off and has not come back on for a week of daily driving. But the smell is still there!

I've heard some say that the gunpowder smell can be mistaken for clutch slip. I recently had the rear wheels off the ground and started the car. even in neutral the rear wheels were spinning slightly. Not sure if that is helpful info.

The smell has been around for a while, so maybe it was long enough for the cat to get clogged up, but it doesnt quite have the sulfur smell of a bad cat. Really at a loss here. 

Thanks for any ideas!

Messages In This Thread
Gunpowder burning smell when accelerating - by jp199 - 05-05-2020, 12:01 PM