• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vitara 1991 5sp transmission leak
Hello again.

INFO:
- 1991 Vitara MT, 2 door, G16a, 4wd.
- 242000km / 150 000 miles
 - Plate in engine compartment.
  - TYPE: ETA01V
  - LAK625K17 (SWE, car has actually been sold in neighbor country FIN)
 - No AC

Problem:

Transmission case is always coated by yellow/golden oil. Looks pretty different from engine oil (in which the damn engine is always covered). Anyhow I do remember reading somewhere in the forum or fixkick.com instructions that some transmissions had vax seals somewhere that give up over time and the 5sp has some rubber plugs that should be glued. Just cant find the page or remember incorrectly.

Now I am taking my Vitara to a mechanic for clutch swap as I dont have any way to lift the car enough, and I do not dare to drop the tranny while car is on jacks. This mechanic is not suzuki only guy, so trying to sort out some things for him. Suzuki dealership is here horrible.. Sad

So any advice what I should ask them to look (or even better do you have a picture) so if they could locate the leaks and plug them out with something. (plugs/vax/chemical metal.. what ever).. while they replace the clutch and change tranny oil.

I don't like it leaking.. and I definitely don't want to start topping it of periodically, but it has to be get done while they swap the clutch as I cant drop the tranny at home and be sure I will manage to get it back there.

I suspect the transmission has not been opened ever. Not sure if the clutch I currently have is original or not, so no idea if that has been swapped. My old Camry did 340 000 km with original clutch and I did tow a caravan, but I would expect off-road car to have worse clutch wear so most probably its not the original clutch at 240 000 km.

Thanks in advantage.

Messages In This Thread
Vitara 1991 5sp transmission leak - by jwunsch - 04-21-2020, 03:08 AM