Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Throttle Body/Throttle Position Sensor
here is the magic TPS calibration on 96-98
from the FSM direct

the tricky part is getting access to the TV stop screw and putting the feeler gauge there !
the test is 3 steps, GO, NOGO and Calibration gauged.  (called feeler gauges)  a skilled mech  can do this with just the CAL gauge,  0.026"  or 0.66mm
This is just calibrating the Idle switch the throttle angle side needs no such thing ever.
failure to align the index pins is a horror. see A and B below..

connector pin 1 is bottom pin, counts up. 1,2,3,4,
the TPS was shrunk from 96 to 97 years, Suzuki real car did it first then GM GEO later, 1997, buy carefully or get the wrong TPS.. do not buy them used.
I like USA SMP brand sensors best,  (they even answer email on their site, amazing folks and has omg real catalogs ecat....)
if done wrong idle switch is stuck open and ISC goes DEAD.

any dirt cheap $10 DMM works here, even from mighty WALfart! Wallys world.

last and tricky bits #2,  the the idle switch is not really a real switch, omg odd, but fact it is a carbon chuck,
so on all mine, open is infinity and is for sure, that.  (meter shows OV , OR, or shows megohms. = infinity)
closed is 500 ohms, typical. and never ever 0.... like we know gold real switches are and seen on vast cars, real switches this one is NOT. REAL
[Image: TPS96-98a.jpg]

[Image: TPS96-98b.jpg]
the TPS can be set too tight too, let me explain that:
the Idle switch opens too late and the ISC fights the drivers right foot actions off idle,  and is perceived by said driver as hesitations, well yah but is really the iSC fighting YOUr FOOT.

the cures is do all calibration steps, hint all 3 gauges and WIN this battle, all in one GO..

tell you mech this car must have the TPs Calibrated by the installer, or the ISC will be dead (idle switch set wrong)
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: Throttle Body/Throttle Position Sensor - by fixkick - 03-15-2020, 11:06 PM