Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1.6 8v TBI - TPS rich Misfire - Need help.
Ok everyone. I have a reoccurring issue with my TPS sensor or something else if someone can help me find out what it is.

I have a 1.6 8v TBI engine swapped into my samurai and the motor always misfired at 3000 to 3200 rpm when under partial throttle when I got it. After testing the original TPS I found that it had a dead spot in the carbon strip and I assumed that was the issue.

However two new aftermarket TPS later it still has the same problem with the misfire at 3000 to 3200 rpm. The misfire is caused by running full rich and I can see it on my wideband O2 sensor. It hits 9.2 to 10.2 when that misfire happens.

Funny part is if the TPS is completely disconnected mechanically and electrically the problem is non existent. I just get a slight hesitation as soon as I touch the throttle.

If I have it mechanically disconnected from the throttle body and still plugged in electrically the slight hesitation with the throttle goes away and it runs fine at 3000 to 3200 rpm.

Its is like the TPS or ecu does not like that signal as it revs up.

I would like to get this resolved.

The Two new TPS sensors pass two out of three tests on Fixkick.com tutorial. The idle circuit should start off somewhere between 0 to 50 ohms and hit 500 before infinity. Both new units form summit racing (TH147) read 320 ohms starting and as I turn them they hit about 400 ohms drop down to 200 ohms then hit infinity.

I guess they are just crappy parts.....

The fixed resistor ohms are in spec and so is the other test for the full sweep ohms test. No holes like my original. At least from what I can tell with my fluke digital meter.

I would apricate some suggestions.

Messages In This Thread
1.6 8v TBI - TPS rich Misfire - Need help. - by eddieturbo2 - 02-21-2020, 12:12 PM