Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starts, runs 30 seconds, then dies
(02-11-2020, 10:39 PM)94TrackerDriver Wrote: I checked the compression and timing. The compression checked 75, 80, 90, 75 (cold of course not running). I put the engine at "0" on pulley and the distributor pointed at #4. Appeared the cam timing mark (top) was off 1 tooth. Everything point to timing off (1) tooth. Ordered gates timing belt kit, will arrive Thursday or Friday. Also pulled valve cover and #4 valves closed. Started to tear down further and 1 big problem. I am guessing on previous belt install, someone used false marks. The key (pin) is inline (opposite side) with the false mark. Maybe someone (or factory?) assembled cam and timing gear using false mark location instead of one with dimple on the spoke? Everything looks like your final assembly photo with the exception of false mark at top (key/pin aligned 180 degrees from false mark). Just to make clear, the key is not aligned with the correct mark with dimple, it is aligned with the false mark (opposite side). Question is, is it OK to reassemble as it is as I do not want to remove the timing gear from the cam and move the key and reassemble if I don't have to.

Thanks for your help!!!
see my cam timing pages, both engines are covered, fixkick.com type in the search box Tbelt. then find 8valves.
the belts cam is  timed on #4 firing on all G16 engines. (SOHC) the distributor is timed and #1 firing, per my page. on distribs. and the manual.

if those compressions test were with the throttle blocked open 1/2 or more then that DATA screams cam timed wrong. 
timed wrong engine is now a lawn mower engine, weak,  my 5hp mower is 100PSI.
The false marks are super documented on my page, again,  see here.
no the last owner did that never once at suzuki ever, the dyno test engine, and lost more tests, sorry, good guess though.
26year  car with factory belt, NO WAY possible, no way.sorry/

there are 2 false marks, well for this engine, my page tells all this tells what the other engine it is used on ,a G13B twin cam.
there are  cam key false mark and the spoke false marks
i bet the last guy did all that wrong then tried to fix all that with setting the belt wrong in the blind hope of TWO WRONGS = a RIGHT.

16v belt 

the photo below is not for any 8v made, it 16v and  all "I" marks are wrong,
the "I" marks are for the G13B and K swift engine ok/  on one side of the twin cam dead only , "I' means Intake cam G13B
16v below.

[Image: sprocket1.jpg]

now the 8v
 same deal here same reasons this cog is in fact used On TWO engine, not just yours.  60a stamp is  the only one way works, no matter how you want to cheat.
gee the 8v has nice hole in the cam shaft uptop. with dowel or drift pin you lock the cam easy as pie and in the manual that.
[Image: t-belt2w.jpg]

found it.... the drift pin lockup, from REAL FSM. factory service manual. means. not seen on the 16v.
[Image: lock8v-cam.jpg]
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: Starts, runs 30 seconds, then dies - by fixkick - 02-12-2020, 06:31 AM