Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
random CEL
hi all,

never had issues with the CEL since i first bought the car used (5years ago) when it had a VSS issue which was promptly fixed by me.

recently, after replacing all coolant hoses (etc,etc) i had a CEL indication right after starting the engine. went off by itself within 5-10seconds, so i didn`t had sufficient time to hook up the jumper at DLC to see what code it was. (first question: are these stored? if i hook the jumper at DLC, will i get a reading on previous/stored error messages, or its just displaying current messages?). i think its OBD1 (although made in 1998) because its european/santana made. have used various professinal scantools at local car repair shops (just for the sake of it) in the past with 0 success on actually communicating/connecting to ECU.

a week later i had the same issue: CEL went on within 5 seconds after firing up the engine, then went off by itself within 5-10seconds. exactly the same as the previous occasion. what gives? any ideas?

remarks:
-measured TPS, appears smooth and calibrated.
-measured and cleaned ISC, appears to be good.
-measured coolant temp (the two prong one which goes to the ECU), appears to be just fine (~260ohm hot, ~2Kohm cold).
-no detectible misfire or anything. engine is smooth. timing belt is fine, dizzy is fine as well.
-all ground points measured to be good.
-oxygen sensor is 4 years old (genuine denso), same applies to spark plugs (denso iridium), spark plug wires, dizzy cap and rotor too.
-injectors were recently replaced with genuine nikki inp470 in perfect condition (tested proffessionaly before installation). one of the old ones was in horrible condition.
-injector wiring tested to be good with noid lamps (3mm 12v led parallel to each injector, all flashing as they should).
-EGR valve is 4 years old too. 
-MAF and throttle body cleaned anually with no apparent issues.
-thermostat is 195F, new, genuine suzuki with proper gasket. no leaks anywhere.
-car battery is pretty much new, oversized to 65ah.
-alternator appears to be working just fine (i have a voltmeter on the dash).
-waterpump, timing belt and both front seals (camshaft and crankshaft) are new. 
-new fuel pump (original died a few months ago) and FPR (old one proved to be sticky). pressure meter fitted to fuel rail. 39 psi @ignition, 32psi at idle (sea level).
-no visible or audible exhaust leaks.
-valve lash is proper. engine has (and always had) 0 oil consumption. new pcv valve (genuine suzuki).
-gas is always from the same station. never had any issues. mileage is excellent (about 8l/100km on european '95octane unleaded').

any ideas are welcome!
Vitara 1998, 1.6L/16v, 5door, 5speed, G16BS.

Messages In This Thread
random CEL - by kthnos - 12-20-2019, 09:31 PM
RE: random CEL - by kthnos - 12-20-2019, 09:37 PM
RE: random CEL - by fixkick - 12-20-2019, 11:35 PM
RE: random CEL - by kthnos - 12-21-2019, 01:27 AM
RE: random CEL - by fixkick - 12-21-2019, 02:19 AM
RE: random CEL - by fixkick - 12-21-2019, 02:40 AM
RE: random CEL - by kthnos - 12-22-2019, 07:14 AM