Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Geo Tracker Transmission Whining
Hello,

Got a soft top 1996 tracker, 2WD 5 speed manual 

The person I bought it from over a year ago had the transmission re-manufactured, and put in a new clutch at the same time. 
Since then, I noticed there was balking and hard to shift symptoms. I noticed that the clutch cable was tightened bit too much (not enough free play). Since then,
I replaced the clutch cable, put in some Penzoil Synchromesh, and just to be on the safe side I replaced the 2 plastic pieces at the bottom of the shifter. I adjusted the clutch cable free play perfectly, so that theres 1/2 inch play at pedal - and the clutch release arm itself has a tiny bit of free play as to not damage the TO bearing. 

Now, the car drives and shifts very smoothly. However, when I first start up the car in the morning, I hear a "whining" sounds coming from below the gearshift assembly (assuming its coming from the transmission). The whining sound is louder when I start it up in cold mornings, and the sound is only present when the clutch is not pressed in. The sound is present in neutral and when in all other gears, but once I press the clutch in the sound goes away. 
Additionally, after the car is fully warmed up, the whining sound is completely gone (not minimal sound, but the sound is completely gone). 

I'm assuming the sounds could be from a bad throwout bearing? Or can the sound be from the input shaft bearing? Which one is the likely culprit?  
I'm just a little confused as to why any of these bearings could possibly be going bad so soon after the transmission and clutch were fully rebuilt. 

Any advice would be appreciated; I've never done a clutch or transmission job, so I don't know how easy it would be to change out the bearing(s).

Thank You

Messages In This Thread
Geo Tracker Transmission Whining - by sina27 - 07-02-2019, 06:29 AM
RE: Geo Tracker Transmission Whining - by fixkick - 07-02-2019, 08:54 AM
RE: Geo Tracker Transmission Whining - by sina27 - 07-02-2019, 11:04 AM
RE: Geo Tracker Transmission Whining - by fixkick - 07-02-2019, 10:14 PM
RE: Geo Tracker Transmission Whining - by fixkick - 07-02-2019, 10:23 PM
RE: Geo Tracker Transmission Whining - by fixkick - 07-03-2019, 02:49 AM
RE: Geo Tracker Transmission Whining - by fixkick - 07-03-2019, 02:54 AM
RE: Geo Tracker Transmission Whining - by fixkick - 07-03-2019, 03:07 AM