Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Guy Hello / 1992 Suzuki Sidekick Multiple Issues / What to Tackle First?
Hey Gang!

First Time Suzuki owner. I just picked up a Sidekick and just driving it around in limp mode for a week including one day in a snow storm, I gotta say, I'm already hooked. What a fun little truck!

I got a great deal on it and it's in good cosmetic and rust shape, but there are some gremlins and I could use some help figuring out the order of operations I should proceed with addressing issues with it. I bought the truck as a daily driver for winter. I got tired of riding my motorcycles in the snow.

The Rig:

USA 1992 Suzuki Sidekick JX 16 valve, Federal, Automatic, 4WD
139K miles, been sitting for 5 years (yikes)

What Works:
All electrical markers, blinkers, rear window defrost/wiper, all that sort of thing works.
Starts quickly and easily.
Settles into a nice ~1400 rpm idle at 28degree F ambient temps and then kicks down to 800 rpm when it's warmed up.

What I'm trying to fix:
CEL on. Code: 23 Intake Air Temp
O/D flashing. Code: 33 Throttle Position Sensor
Brake Light on sometimes.
After sitting at startup, starts right up, runs clean for 3-4 seconds, then starts spitting bluish-white smoke from exhaust for about 5 minutes. The smoke smells sweet smelling to me, but I could be wrong about that.
Warms up very slowly. (15 minutes before the heater starts working, but once there, heater works well.) Once warmed up the temp gauge runs towards Cold but needle above the C (eventually). Again, idle kicks down at a normal time, around 5 minutes 28 ish degrees outside.

No coolant in oil on dipstick after multiple checks.
No oil in coolant. Coolant level may or may not be stable, I've only driven it for a week.
Has burnt almost 1/2 qt oil in one week (~200 miles).

It drives around, but seems to skip 2nd gear, never shifts to O/D/4th.

I have the following parts new and on-hand: air filter, spark plugs, IAT sensor, PCV valve. I don't want to start putting in parts in the wrong order and foul a brand new sensor for example.

I'm thinking start with the CEL problem first, then the deal with the transmission, then the brakes and the oil or blown head gasket last (for financial reasons) unless that's the root cause of the IAT code 23.

Please let me know the order you think is best to tackle this stuff!

Thanks in advance for all the expertise!

-TK

Messages In This Thread
New Guy Hello / 1992 Suzuki Sidekick Multiple Issues / What to Tackle First? - by ThomasKinzer - 01-10-2017, 10:11 AM