April 26, 2017
TPS calibrated.
TPS Test Results:
CD idle = 0 ohms
CD full open = infinity
AD idle = 5.5k
BD idle = 0.5k
BD Full Open = 5.5k
Did not do live test can't find probes that don't damage wires. Where did you get yours Fixkick?
TPS seemed to have been fully clockwise, possibly P.O.?

Timing set 8° @ 800 RPM hot. Vacuum advance now operating.
Pointed laser thermometer at thermostat housing when hot = 180° - 200°

TBI throat is very clean and moves freely, nothing blocking it.

Brake Booster did 300mm and held, however I could not make it go higher since my hose hook-ups are crude.
Should I re-test or the above number or good enough?

O2 sensor was replaced about 5 years ago, but, in the mean time I ran the car with a bad cat. for 4 years, last year I replaced complete exhaust system (manifold back) including the cat. Did the no cat kill the o2 sensor and now the o2 sensor is getting even with the cat? (my apologies for the bad humor)

This morning test drove it and started out at 1600 rpm and slowly climbed to 2100 rpm and then the surging began, 2100 to 1600 to 2100 to 1600 and so on. Should point out that the previous years when it did surge was about 40° humid and especially after running on the expressway but only did it a few times, this time since December of last year it hasn't stopped except when it gets over 70° then it behaves somewhat.
When it ran "right" it went through start up motions well, 2300 rpm after 7 seconds down to 1900 and slowly to 800rpm after a few miles. Lights raised the rpm by 100 or so, ps raised it another 100 or so and ac raised it up 400 rpms. I do have to set idle after winter and after summer by about 100 rpms if that kind of info helps.
I live in Chicago but hardly drive it in the winter or at least when there's no salt on the ground.
1990 Geo Tracker 4x4 Manual AC PS Convertible US market (federal)

Messages In This Thread
RE: 90 tracker distributor vacuum advance bad idling issues - by Banned - 04-29-2017, 03:41 AM