Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chevy Tracker J20 overheating
need more symptoms.
sounds like you fill it up full of water. (50% antifreeze,)then later there is air in the head.
bad headgasket (compression at spec")?

the only trick on the J18/20 is that that hose behind the thermostat must never be blocked. or the thermostat will go nuts.
does it overheat moving fast? (i bet its too scary to try that, but is a clue for the fan clutch dead, if it dont)
in summer all engines overheat parked and idling if the fan clutch dies. so that is always a suspect.
on newer cars that is a test. parked, at what temp does the electric fans kick in,,,,, and same deal.
note how the thermostat is on the engine , backwards, its not at the head hot water exit point, seen at HOSE 1.
this means if hose 22 (and its sources) fail to flow for any reasons, the thermostat has no hope of working right.
the bypass hose might(?) help if the heater core packs up.
ok , you bought the wrong thermostat, almost all stores in my down, 10, sell the wrong stat for your car. they sell you a G16 and they dont work.
tell me your stat maker, and part number.
caused by them not asking your engine vin code, or not even knowing there are 2 engines that year.
one trick is to buy a Esteem thermostat.
http://www.fixkick.com/buy-parts.html#STAT18
the factory stat is 77E00, and that 77 means J18 (and J20)
The "Stant" 14378 is known to work perfectly.

[Image: 18L-RAD-flow1.jpg]

WHEN HOSE 22 FAILS (blocked or restricted)
the engine overheats, then the thermostat opens, too late.
then it opens and a flood of cold water hits the wax pellet.
the thermostat then slams shut (cold water) and the cycle repeats. endlessly. (Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde stat)
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
Chevy Tracker J20 overheating - by testingapril - 05-23-2015, 12:11 PM
RE: Chevy Tracker J20 overheating - by GeoHacker - 05-23-2015, 01:47 PM
RE: Chevy Tracker J20 overheating - by fixkick - 05-23-2015, 10:51 PM
RE: Chevy Tracker J20 overheating - by fixkick - 05-24-2015, 09:23 AM