Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Radiator overflowing from overflow resevoir.
1992 Sidekick 4dr Auto 1.6 L 16V MPI

How soon after cold start does this happen?

I just replaced the radiator hoses and this was the first time I tried to completely replace all the coolant after draining.
Car has been operating for about 8-9 months without any heat related issues that I know of. I have noticed it would be low on coolant from time to time without any noticable leaks other than the occasional overflow resevoir drips or small puddle. About 7-12 minutes after cold start the temp gauge starts to rise from cold to a little past first warm indication, (1/4 of temp scale) and stays there. So no indication that this is too hot from the gauge. With the radiator cap off to monitor coolant level after filling the radiator completely at cold, as the thermostat opened up, the coolant would rise and fall until I guess the thermostat opened completely. Then, again with cap off, the coolant really started to come out of the top to the point of spurting about 6 inches high at one point. Fans, belt driven and thermostatically controlled, both work and thermostatic cycles on and off.

I will study your overheating info and replace radiator cap and buy pyro gun to check radiator effectiveness.
1992 Sidekick, 4 door, 4-spd automatic, 1.6 L, 16 V, MPI

Messages In This Thread
RE: Radiator overflowing from overflow resevoir. - by Azplinker - 02-24-2015, 02:48 AM