Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
P0740 code
I slept on this.. always good at my age
the CEL is just a #18 GE lamp , plugs in, (moot point now)
the ecu never lies about, 740 but, can be fooled, if the tcc really does work, drops RPM say at 45-50 light flat cruise.
then it might get (theory) confused on hills. and fail.
there is also the possibility of pulling dome fuse, drive until all monitors clear (obd2 mons) and get the smog check before the
740 check runs. (like juggling 4 bowling pins , yes, a royal pita)
ok if the rpm dont drop. and is key that, you check PCM tcc pin, its 12v then pcm ok, seems it is.
then ohms of internal is 37 great
click test, (by hot wiring it, its just a coil to ground, tiny click may be very hard to hear, sans stethoscope)
drop pan, the omg , this is a 1995 or oder swap in, and that sill pressure switch is there.
that ttc wire goes to press switch, and then to solenoid, and sole to ground , that switch may work and the fail at odd moments
that is why suzuki removed it (press/sw), it is too strict in its conditions.
its probably not there. and should not and 27 ohms says its not there.
I dont have the drawing of your trans side connector , and what color is TCC, but think you found out, (and these facts missing in the TSB)

the full set of tests are here.
http://www.fixkick.com/tranny/automatic-...ilure.html

at one point suzuki added a delay box to tcc, on the fire wall, pre 96s but? its always good to check for its presents'
see the full TSB there covers all years.

do not hot wire the solenoid backwards (plus to ground ) as the solenoid has internal clamp diodes, that if bad will cause the coil
to burn out the ECU,tcc transistor. (back EMF clamp it is)
drawing is the bench test of solenoid, using oil, or as common today, just show air, or lips on a hose.
its open and not stuck open, and closes, and then opens with 12vdc, applied, Plus to wire, minus to ground.

make sure the transmission ground strap is not missing or mangled, this can kill any tcc dead.
seen and heard many missing, i forget, its from case to cross-member, and is banded heavy stRap? (a generic strap will work)

WHAT TO DO FIRST:?
reset the pcm with dome, and pray it was an ANOMALY, ? (A GLITCH) WHO KNOWS. and is always worth a try.
to fool (not really but) the smog man. (not him , your cars monitors)

pull dome fuse for 1 min? or press reset on scan tool. (all is now forgotten)
drive until all "not completes" are complete, and then avoid 47mph like plague.?
avoid hills .
Keep trans cool,morning drive, grandma driving.
in most states its ok to have one not complete,(fed guidelines) this is because the silly EVAP MONITOR fails to run with full tank of fuel. (needs air space RULES)
the evap can take 30minutes to clear, if low tank. a pain,
So keep 3/4 tank or less, so that more monitors clear, and evap clear , giving you a wave on 1 more not ready, (always a good thing, 421s is bad cat, or 400s? egr.)
keep transmission cool, avoid long drives before testing, so the TCC test is suspended?
avoid cruising?
end dancing on head of pin,,etc...

i dont have 97 book to see exact, meaning of 740, its new for 1997, so..;..there are other p074x codes. (i have no list of true differences,)

the ECU, can only see one thing, the engine RPM drop. but below, it says tcm voltage drop.
if its voltage that means the solenoid is shorted, I dont believe this below. statement.

http://www.datsc.com/tabid/122/OBD-Error...fault.aspx

": Diagnostic trouble code P0740 is detected when TCM detects an improper voltage drop when it tries to operate the solenoid valve."
i think they ment RPM drop. oops.
if im wong , that means the TCC line is shorted to ground, or TCM transistor is shorted. but yours works ok? er, does 12vdc, driving,

your PCM TCC transistor sources 12vdc, current, its just a switch to power. the power flow to the Solenid coil and it opens and atf fluid
slams in to TCC lockup lock, and 1:1 gear happens.

I hope it's something simple and and easy fix.
i hope the cat dont block you pan.

ps
to prove tcm is ok
connect a jumper wire from tcc wire ?(trans conn) i dont know color, drive past 47? see if you get 12vdc, if you do, pcm is good.! can read 14v.
if fails, say 0v or 6v or 8v, disconnect wire whole connector at trans case, see that tcc wire, it goes to 12-15vvdc at 47+mph. flat cruise,steady foot(right)

im shocked , have you see the EPA dirty list
and, 1997 is on the list. for trackers.
here it is in pure text, (this means the PCM has gross logic errors, and has exemptions.) Make sure you have the exemption in the glove box at all times.

http://www.fixkick.com/ECU/ODB2/exempt.txt

tell them to read directive
Saf-C 3222.06 Exemptions from Rejection Criteria.

and pass you.
i hope.

http://www.epa.gov/region1/topics/air/si...200_NH.pdf

its shows New hampshire but says its EPA certified, that these exemptions true;

found it, it applies to 1997 trackers but not 1997 sidekicks how odd that is.....

the real deal is here, id print it out and blush at smog man, sir, did you see these epa directive?
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/im/obd/regt...f08009.pdf

i think it means they do he OBD1 test, with rear tires on rollers and sniff test
and that test skips Transmission, !!!!

it be like car is 1995, and pass.

so the tactic is pull dome for min or 2 in parking lot , drive in get test,bay.
man says the monitors are not complete (shock)
you then say, see this EPA directive , suzuki has PCM bug here, so use oBD1 IM testing, win.

if the lock is bad, In deep inside clutch, id be tempted to pull this dance above off.
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
P0740 code - by [email protected] - 01-21-2015, 06:42 AM
RE: P0740 code - by fixkick - 01-21-2015, 07:37 AM
RE: P0740 code - by [email protected] - 01-21-2015, 03:51 PM
RE: P0740 code - by fixkick - 01-21-2015, 09:33 PM
RE: P0740 code - by fixkick - 01-21-2015, 11:59 PM
RE: P0740 code - by [email protected] - 02-04-2015, 06:54 AM
RE: P0740 code - by fixkick - 02-04-2015, 11:09 AM
RE: P0740 code - by [email protected] - 02-04-2015, 01:29 PM
RE: P0740 code - by fixkick - 02-04-2015, 09:20 PM
RE: P0740 code - by fixkick - 02-04-2015, 10:49 PM