Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OBD2 Reading: Closed Loop vs Open Loop
Hey guys
I got a 1996 Geo Tracker 2WD, 5 speed, 16 valve MFI. 

I just recently did a bunch of tune ups and replaced 02 sensors, TPS calibration, etc. Car is running good and idling fine. 
No check engine light. 

I plugged in my OBD2 scanner.
The car reaches proper operating temp during idle and while driving (~194F). 
After start up and when warm, the car is in CLOSED LOOP mode during IDLE. This is expected. 
While I'm driving the car, the car is also in CLOSED LOOP for most of the time. 
HOWEVER - while I'm driving / accelerating, if I let go of the throttle and coast, the scanner switches to OPEN LOOP for 5 seconds or so, before going back to CLOSED LOOP.
It seems to hit closed loop intermiddently, only when I'm driving above a certain speed and when I lift my food off the gas - 
So say I'm driving 50mpg and giving it gas, its in CL, and if I suddenly give it no gas and coast while in gear, it switches to OL for 5 seconds before going back to CL. 
The ECT stays above 190F the entire time so its not a temp issue. 

Is this normal? My front 02 sensor is reading correctly. I noticed that the front 02 sensor slams low voltage when I take my foot off the gas while coasting (when it switches to OL). 
And then once the front 02 starts bouncing again like normal is switches back to CL. 

Is this normal or is something wrong?

Messages In This Thread
OBD2 Reading: Closed Loop vs Open Loop - by sina27 - 08-24-2022, 02:19 AM