Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Maf
Hello everyone, I just replace my MAF sensor with a new aftermarket MAF. The voltage coming out of the MAF at idle is 2.2 volts + or - .020 volts. With key on, Engine off I get 1.515 volts. I've read on the other KickFix site it should be between 1.7 and 2.0 volts. Does this mean its defective? Your opinion would be appreciated 95 Tracker, 4WD, auto, vin 6, 1.6 ,16 valve, made in Canada and Cal emmissions.
Oh man, can I tell you some stories about bad aftermarket MAF !
I bought a new one for $100, it was giving me bad readings, it drove my Ecu insane

See video of mine (defective aftermarket) reading here:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=utkZGLjNhqk
1996 Geo Tracker, CAMI, 16 valve, 5sp, 4x4, soft top, 2 door, no a/c
Was that high rpm in the video because it was cold, or was the MAF causing it?
It was cold but that bad MAF on the video was causing calculated load to be close to 40% and making closed loop impossible to reach, car was running rich, black smoke coming out of tail pipe and spark plug tips would get covered in black. I had to buy an original Japanese made MAF used from an online junk yard, I replaced it and car ran perfectly. Also notice in video how MAF voltage output is not linear with rpm's, meaning that rpm's going up high would only make the MAF go up less than 0.5 v
If fixkick says your voltage at idle should be between 1.7 and 2 v then 2.2 seems as it is stuck high a little bit, whether this is enough of a variance to mess up your running conditions or not, I'm not sure. My bad one used to go as low as 2.29 v
I'm going to put my meter on dash so I can watch rpms like yours in the video was set up and try it again. I wasn't looking at rpms when I raised throttle to see volts rise.
I started it cold this morning. I think the same is happening as gorkyb's description of what was going on with his replacement MAF. Yesterday, Tracker was warm when I replaced MAF. When I restarted Tracker it wasn't running like it should. I was thinking that maybe the ECM had to adjust to the new MAF. This morning, it was horrible .
If you just bought this MAF maybe you can return it and get your money back, in my case it took me a few months (since I also had other problems with my Tracker) to realize (thanks to fixkick's help) mine was defective therefore I couldn't return it anymore. Out $100, I could have bought the Japanese made MAF used for $55 to begin with and not have this issue.
Hi Gorky:
What is the trick to ply your videos? Whenever I click on one, it opens a page and states "the page is broken"
Cheers,
The Prof!
Hi Farid, I'm not sure why you would have this issue, I would just copy the link and paste it on the browser of the IE or Chrome and see if that works, which video are you trying to play? the one with the MAF testing? if so go on youtube.com and type: "96 Geo Tracker MAF sensor readings" on the search bar, click on the video with the orange voltmeter sitting sideways.

Gorky
It came with a card stating installed parts cannot be returned for refund. I couldn't open up the video because of some real player problem so I was able to see the video by doing a search for the video title (96 Geo Tracker MAF sensor readings) and watching it on regular utube. This is the address or whatever its called http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utkZGLjNhqk