Car Repair Forum
CKP sensor - Printable Version

+- Car Repair Forum (https://fixkick.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Suzuki (https://fixkick.com/forum/forum-suzuki)
+--- Forum: Sidekick/Tracker (https://fixkick.com/forum/forum-sidekick-tracker)
+--- Thread: CKP sensor (/thread-ckp-sensor)

Pages: 1 2

CKP sensor - mikedalcollo - 02-13-2016

My CKP sensor is leaking oil like siv, i can watch it comin outa there at 2,000 rmp, it literally drains it on the freeway.
My ? is will i have to replace the oil pan gasket as well? Was thinking about putting RTV on the bolt n threading it through....but better i ask rather than be sorry later.

RE: CKP sensor - fixkick - 02-13-2016

CKP dont leak oil, ever (oh but sure, looks like it, ) G16b engines post 1995 year. have CKP, with special pump and pan.
it's on the dry side. Any seal there is only a dust seal.
proof
[Image: 3_12_02_16_1_02_56.jpeg]

it has a large pan hole there, that has no seal. it dont need one, ever. the pan sealant, there seals this pan hole up, and really never leaks, there, unless molested, (day 1 its RTV seal in factory)
what does leak, are. in no order.
1:front valve cover gasket seal.
2: cam seal or its clamp,messed with or is clamp bolt loose.
3: crank seals
4: pan seal
5: pump seals, , all 5 on the wet side.

what i do is drive with the front cam cover off. oops, now see truth.
is the front crank cog, 17mm large bolt at 94ft/lbs, if loose that be it. this is my day 1 ownership check. on all G16s, made.

pull cover
clean it all out,
drive 1mile or less, just idle it, in your case, its SIV status.
bam hard proof or needs UV dye test if its pan or pump leaks.

(02-13-2016, 04:46 AM)mikedalcollo Wrote: My CKP sensor is leaking oil like siv, i can watch it comin outa there at 2,000 rmp, it literally drains it on the freeway.
My ? is will i have to replace the oil pan gasket as well? Was thinking about putting RTV on the bolt n threading it through....but better i ask rather than be sorry later.

gravity and front under cover, is why this is so hard.

i just RTV sealed the pan in this photo, there is no gasket (and 24hr cured it)
if you put a gasket there the CKP GOES< NUTS>!!!!

the VC also leaks at rear and the distributor (valve cover = VC)
and vast posters think the rear mains seal leaks
and is NOT.
huge wasted labor, for the top 2 fails.

RE: CKP sensor - mikedalcollo - 02-13-2016

(02-13-2016, 05:04 AM)fixkick Wrote: CKP dont leak oil, ever (oh but sure, looks like it, ) G16b engines post 1995 year. have CKP, with special pump and pan.
it's on the dry side. Any seal there is only a dust seal.
proof
[Image: 3_12_02_16_1_02_56.jpeg]

it has a large pan hole there, that has no seal. it dont need one, ever. the pan sealant, there seals this pan hole up, and really never leaks, there, unless molested, (day 1 its RTV seal in factory)
what does leak, are. in no order.
1:front valve cover gasket seal.
2: cam seal or its clamp,messed with or is clamp bolt loose.
3: crank seals
4: pan seal
5: pump seals, , all 5 on the wet side.

what i do is drive with the front cam cover off. oops, now see truth.
is the front crank cog, 17mm large bolt at 94ft/lbs, if loose that be it. this is my day 1 ownership check. on all G16s, made.

pull cover
clean it all out,
drive 1mile or less, just idle it, in your case, its SIV status.
bam hard proof or needs UV dye test if its pan or pump leaks.

(02-13-2016, 04:46 AM)mikedalcollo Wrote: My CKP sensor is leaking oil like siv, i can watch it comin outa there at 2,000 rmp, it literally drains it on the freeway.

gravity and front under cover, is why this is so hard.

i just RTV sealed the pan in this photo, there is no gasket (and 24hr cured it)
if you put a gasket there the CKP GOES< NUTS>!!!!

the VC also leaks at rear and the distributor (valve cover = VC)
and vast posters think the rear mains seal leaks
and is NOT.
huge wasted labor, for the top 2 fails.

OK, I have replaced the RTV seal on the distributer because I had oil on back of the engine were it meets the tranni and welll...your awesome site told me to look there first. That was the case late last year, I think OCT r NOV. No more leaking.
Took a trip to sacramento from reno Jan n had leaking oil in the front...bad...(was spraying all over cause it was getting on belts)..ok timing cover off ya clear as day...crank seal leaking. So replaced with technics from your awesome site, No more leaking.
Brings us to now, I had helper hold gas while i watched nd it looked like it is coming out of the middle of the plug...pulled it... and on the inside of the actual sensor itself (not the wire from the harness side) the right prong has oil were it meets the plastic like its oozing from that spot. So thats why I would think that that is the cause.
The timing belt cover is dry, so not thinking the cam seal, i'm going to check anyway now that I have a little advise.
Thank you for the quick response n all your help

but did you do the 17mm bolt. never buy any G16 and not check that bolt one hr, later. ( think you did, but...)
is this car 5sps stick or auto.
did you know many mechanics refuse to use a torque wrench and when the confront a/t car, fail to lock the crank to set that bolt to spec, and the disaster that follows.

the ckp is not a wet sensor. , run car with no sensor, it runs, (get errors, oregano them) but runs, even remove it the sensor, see, there is no oil there, its dry space.

see its a dry sensor,,,, now missing, (for testing)
what dry means?, it means it does not go to the crank case, at all. it goes
to the front engine, sitting in dry air space, and is below the crank cog reluctor, it too , in dry space
you need to take of the cover off and drive.
really , s there is no other way to find front leaks, not possible

also,
my 96 leaked oil out of the CKP harness, it was full of oil, from leaks in 5 places, soaked full, in the bundles of wires there , from leak way up high.
so i remove the connector and drove around block, CKP dry, harness end ckp leaking like mad..! i warped it in rags, tie warpped and it went dry 6 months later,
leaks like a wet sponge.

the ckp can not leak oil, period. it can not.
yes the pan can and all above, in above post.
all you know is , front if engine leaks oil, Maybe, (i cant see siV so, cant judge)

also both hoses for and by the PCV itself must not be clogged, end to end.
or OIL will leak, due to huge crankcase bypass gases, building pressure in the crankcase.

if i had a g16 and loved to leak oil. (pvc checked 1st)
id not put the front cover on, until proven leak free, (im a glass 1/2 full guy on old engines)
saving a ton of hard work and guessing and doing wasted efforts etc.
the cover is only blocked by the fan, and belt, it comes off easy.

leaving it off, for a week is ok,just dont get gravel up there. that be bad.

find the true source first
then we can find how to cure it.
some failures are not bad parts, but bad work done long before you owned it, Inherited. from the bad guy, LOL !!!
HOW can you know the front is dry, while it's covered up?

cheers and good luck.
oil leaks are not easy, and 100x that covered up.

RE: CKP sensor - mikedalcollo - 02-13-2016

Understood, Thank you very much. I did the 17mm bolt with a torque n fifth gear (manny tranni). I also noticed that my PVC hose is a little moist now. Followed the harness up it looks dry, I will look closer. Will get back after more diagnosis, might not be till tues. Gotta work sat-mon.

One more quick ?
How would I know if the oil pump is bad?

good,news.. hate to see you need a new cranks, etc.
the hose can block in 2 places, 2 hoses.
the pcv itself is a check valve and orifice that can clogged easy
and the fresh air hose, to pcv.

the pcv side is the suck side
the other side hose is fresh air to air cleaner pipe and to engine valve cover. too...
seen here
left is pcv valve inserted in VC boot.
and on right the fresh air path (the horror big, is both blocked)

http://www.fixkick.com/my96-16v/engine2.jpg

here is my humbling experience, with oil leaks, no small task..

[Image: 3_12_02_16_3_39_08.jpeg]

RE: CKP sensor - mikedalcollo - 02-24-2016

sorry for the delay..been a long week. Bout to dive into this, got the timing cover off and everything back together. Gonna put oil in this morning and run to find the leak, fingers crossed its something simple. I just wanted to know how would i tell if the oil pump is bad?

RE: CKP sensor - fixkick - 02-25-2016

no problem mate. glad to help.

the pump has 4 sides and a hole, the stock pump has this really nice, steel gasket(dimple ringed) that seals great. and bottom of pump is front pan sealed.(RTV it is)
if you just look at pan, you can see if others where there, if you see a gasket there. that be wrong. 1996+ (or 1998 + in canada)
the 4 sides can in fact leak or the hole (oil seal)
it will be obvious has heck cover off (belt) where its leaking...
just run engine dead cold top hot parked
see leaks. ?
yes/no
if yes, bingo
if not drive around the block.
repeat unit, leak is seen,
your on the easy path now.

for sure.

keep and open mind , until exact point of leak is found , then we go deeper. can even be china clone seal that is too small "O.D", (knock off disease)

take your time, if the leaks is small
no hurry, just find it.
also there can be casting flaws.... yes, keep open mind..

RE: CKP sensor - mikedalcollo - 02-25-2016

update: ran it with cover off, didnt see any fresh oil coming from anywhere. I had wiped everything down so it was clean..ish. Drove around for awhile n still nothing?! Im a little baffled. Before i parked i was able to watch oil coming out from that spot where the sensor is..... it WAS loose but like you said..dry sensor sooo? i dnt know. gonna leave the timing cover off for awhile too keep an eye on it.

I had noticed before i parked and today as i drove.... it gurgles or bogs under load, cant get it to do it just sitting with gas applied.
The PCV valve is gunked up pretty bad, its only a couple bucks so im going to replace that in an hour or so, had to take a break for a bit.
Will update....

RE: CKP sensor - fixkick - 02-25-2016

good news....
yes, the harnesses will hold lots of oil (like a sponge) and will leak a long time after youcorrecting leaks.
all harnesses on engine, will suck up oil if the VC leaks. (valve cover)
they will GO dry by them selves.. I tied rags to mine(wrapped to ends) and then tie-wrap them one, to capture it, took weeks..

(02-25-2016, 01:02 PM)mikedalcollo Wrote: update: ran it with cover off, didnt see any fresh oil coming from anywhere.(but below?)
I had wiped everything down so it was clean..ish.
Drove around for awhile n still nothing?! I'm a little baffled.
Before i parked i was able to watch oil coming out from that spot where the sensor is.... (so it still is leaking there)
(ok drive with no sensor there.) if it leaks now , THERE, the pan gasket leak (bottom of pump end)
. it WAS (THE CMP bolt?) loose but like you said..dry sensor sooo? what is loose, please say what.?
(it is on the dry side, you scan see that now) the belt side is the dry side and is dry. now. no leaks)_
i dont know. gonna leave the timing cover off for awhile too keep an eye on it.
BOG:
I had noticed before i parked and today as i drove.... it gurgles? or bogs under load, cant get it to do it just sitting with gas applied.
The PCV valve is gunked up pretty bad, its only a couple bucks so im going to replace that in an hour or so, had to take a break for a bit.
Will update....

you can stop leaks.
you can clean the engine ,
but the harnesses , cant be cleaned only drip dried.

bog'?
hot, cold engine or both?
bogs, all time.?
bogs only at throttle tip in.?
bogs, cruising, or only up hills.?
does bog, last or correct.?

or is gurgles misfire, misfire is violent, ever heard a chain saw , misfire, as all do?
misfire is very complex. over 50 causes. lots tests.
misfire can be felt and heard, it is violent when 1 or more cylinders misfire.
bogging is not like that , its like dragging a 1000 lb dead weight, aka. lost engine power, not misfiring.

one more leak test. unplug the CKP sensor connector, then take off the CKP sensor, (1 screw) it falls out.
now is there oil there? on the dry side?????
or wet, if wet , then flush it out, with carb cleaner from above, the to of crank cog read
see it clean now, dry it of with a rag, see , clean
so start the engine, amazing all G16b start with no CKP, unlike most other cars..
now you can view the pan gasket there in the circle hole , there, leak there now?
yes, bad pan gasket.
no, harness just echoing the past. leaks. (sponge trick)

ok you are doing good, and good luck to you. cheers.,

PS:
keep in mind the bottom crank front seal , if leaking will not be seen from front.(mostly)
only with the CKP removed, can you see there, using flash light. point to there.