Car Repair Forum
A/T 4speed fails, car wont move until hot. - Printable Version

+- Car Repair Forum (https://fixkick.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Suzuki (https://fixkick.com/forum/forum-suzuki)
+--- Forum: Sidekick/Tracker (https://fixkick.com/forum/forum-sidekick-tracker)
+--- Thread: A/T 4speed fails, car wont move until hot. (/thread-a-t-4speed-fails-car-wont-move-until-hot)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: A/T 4speed fails, car wont move until hot. - zukitrek - 06-07-2015

Well just like Kirk posted and did on his other car tranny. I started her up, shifted to neutral and raced her to almost 1800 RPMs for only one minute and I drove away. But wife has been telling me that it has been taking less time to move in drive without doing that. Will test cold tomorrow.

Great day!!!

RE: A/T 4speed fails, car wont move until hot. - fixkick - 06-07-2015

ill not speculate until the filter is changed, it is not at post 82

see post 5

RE: A/T 4speed fails, car wont move until hot. - zukitrek - 06-09-2015

(06-07-2015, 02:39 AM)fixkick Wrote: live with it, or fix it.
be happy it still moves, its very very old. in fact a blessing it does this old.

Im not complaining so, in fact happy about all this for whatever time it lasts

keep in mind the line pressure can be low.
weak pump cold or leaks in the system cold.
that is why the line test is at the top of the list , in the on car checks. (after stall test fails as yours does cold)
the clutch can slip, if it drains back or the pump is weak. and can not engage the 1st gear.
i do NOT know where the 44de TC drain check valve is , on the box.
At this point like you mentioned before with so many fail paths the whys are not important, cause next step should it fail for good is a new tranny either rebuilt or donor.

but if the oil level parked engine off, parked over night, shows crazy high levels, on the dip stick then its that drain back issue
my guess, is the TC might drain back 1/2 its fluid, worse case?
so 2.6 in pan is now 4.6quarts? (Drained back wrongly)
I think this is present in mine. Checked level yesterday and dead cold level was at the top of that measuring tip of the dipstick.

Any ways I thank you for all your time in helping me diagnose and improve my Kick. You are the best resource Ive found in a longtime.

Regards!!

RE: A/T 4speed fails, car wont move until hot. - zukitrek - 10-14-2015

Well Fix looks like the end of the line for my Slush Pump. Hardly wants to go up on high hills. Wife told me rpm's were on the 3K and it did not want climb (did but very slowly) and felt out of power to do so. Found one locally for $400, but I don't know since I need a car for wife like before next monday. Another option was I found a 95 4door auto for 1,700. Will have to check and see. Just letting you know.

Regards!!!

RE: A/T 4speed fails, car wont move until hot. - fixkick - 10-14-2015

why is this a surprise?
you knew that the line pressure is low cold. see post 5, im updated that .
and flat refused to change out the FILTER>

post 84 no filter. still....
why think a pump can suck thru a packed filter. why>?????

after that job we can speculate. not before

the late shifting is also caused buy the kick down valve and cable. if the cable rusts and sticks, it will shift late. the valve on trans must not stick either....!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have not driven it yet. I thought about that too (the weak engine thing) Will try to test tomorrow. But this past month she is been taking forever to move (shift) in the first morning drive.
So my guess is she's slipping big time. How can I rule out weak engine? TBelt job was done at the begging of the year and she's been running great. Do a compression test just in case?

Regards!!

RE: A/T 4speed fails, car wont move until hot. - fixkick - 10-14-2015

the weak engine theory is just step one, post 1,
if the trans fails stall test , above 2000rpm the trans is slipping, its not the engines fault.

if the then the car moves ok hot and shifts late (depends on hills)
it can be many things.
weak engine.
TV cable stuck.
trans slip or major problems.

Good day sir. Just gave her a test and it does not seem to be engine. She has power and goes from 0 to first shift fine, great, peppy then next speed keeps powering up but then the shift takes longer than usual and then never shifts. Going to down to 0 miles I power it up and first speed shift fine to 2nd but again it stays in second. Ill do the unplugged test and let you know.

BTW Reverse does not fail. Really strong hard acceleration all the way that I tested it.
Thanks!!

OK I road tested her again with jumper wire. Hard acceleration, slow, uphills, and no fail codes. Plain 12's all the way. Im trying to disconnect the TCM but is kind of hard. Im pressing the tab but very little movement outwards. What I noticed from the test drive. First gear/speed fine, second gear/speed fine until its time to shift again. It did shift twice after letting go of gas pedal and pressing it again and then it would shift. But while in third gear, speed was increasing but it would do the same again, wanting to not shift.

Let me know.

RE: A/T 4speed fails, car wont move until hot. - zukitrek - 10-15-2015

Hey Fix have you had time to check my last post? All indicates the tranny is on her way out. RPM's are normal to my best knowledge thats all I can say RPM wise. Still have to disconnect the TCM and try manual mode.

BTW, could one opt to use manual mode in case tranny works (except 2nd gear) without any problems or this is just for diagnostics?

Regards!!