Car Repair Forum
A/T 4speed fails, car wont move until hot. - Printable Version

+- Car Repair Forum (https://fixkick.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Suzuki (https://fixkick.com/forum/forum-suzuki)
+--- Forum: Sidekick/Tracker (https://fixkick.com/forum/forum-sidekick-tracker)
+--- Thread: A/T 4speed fails, car wont move until hot. (/thread-a-t-4speed-fails-car-wont-move-until-hot)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: A/T 4speed fails, car wont move until hot. - fixkick - 09-02-2014

you'll need the gasket set for that. act, VBbody.
the checks are many, the CDrom, for $30, might cover it all. havent seen it, yet.

id just pop in a filter. and replace just the oil that came out, ever oz. measured. (shaken but not stirred)
the see if it wakes up.
that is just pure opinion, and Im right? like a broken clock, just 2 times a day.

RE: A/T 4speed fails, car wont move until hot. - zukitrek - 09-02-2014

Haha! Ok sir. Will let u know.

J

RE: A/T 4speed fails, car wont move until hot. - zukitrek - 09-28-2014

Super update on the my slipping tranny. As of lately we start the car and not even 2 minutes go bye tranny engages inmediately when put in drive. Self healing?? Have not done the filter yet. Is due next month. What do you think happened?

J

RE: A/T 4speed fails, car wont move until hot. - fixkick - 09-28-2014

the seals in side, when old, can be, fickle.
so can starting temp of ATF fluid, change all that.
after all, thinner AFT can be sucked past a dirty filter, more easy.

id bet the line pressure tests fail.
and if they are marginal, then , you get marginal ops.

RE: A/T 4speed fails, car wont move until hot. - zukitrek - 04-14-2015

Helo Fix. Long time I have not posted. Hope you are doing OK and your family. Well my 5spd tranny is slipping again in the first start of the morning for at least 10min, then the rest of the day is fine. You would not tell is slipping. Just as a recap filter was changed at the beginning of the year doing the 3 time home flush. Problem started a little bit after that. What are my options other than full rebuild? If line pressure tests fails and stall test too what can i do ?

Regards!!

RE: A/T 4speed fails, car wont move until hot. - fixkick - 04-14-2015

the 4speed, A/T slips, 5 is M/T but the sig. is clear.
slips cold
not hot.
only filter does that cold, usually but seems not this time.
cold ATF wont pass filter. ? is logic there.

but cold ATF pumps better inside pump and cold ATF leaks less past seals. (if hardened seals.)
it might be seals that get warm, get tighter.?, seems that is it , to me.

i guess its that bottle of transmission additive time, what's the name? Lucas?

unplug, TCM and shift by hand make sure it slips this way too. cold.
just on the odd chances the TCM is doing something really crazy, like pulsing the solenoids, (bad caps and TCM crashing) ID want to eliminate. TCM from the mix
cheers
PS< wecome !@!!!

RE: A/T 4speed fails, car wont move until hot. - zukitrek - 04-14-2015

Hey sir. Great to hear from you!! OK, well I was (I am actually ) real busy doing body work on the Civic so I guess the 94 was jealous and wants some TLC too.

Those seals you mention can they be replaced? Ive always heard about those seal in the tranny but have no idea where they are?

Ok Ill try the TCM unplugged and report to you. Is Lucas the best or just try any of that kind? Just for the heck of it,maybe try another 3 time flush without changing filter this time? Is only 4 months old. Just to dilute more the old contaminants from older fluid before the filter change. I do got the red color back, but I thought, hey it would not hurt to dilute it a bit more? ATF is easy to find on sale. Or don't go thru that as it will not help in the matter?

Again nice knowing from you again.

Saludos!!!

RE: A/T 4speed fails, car wont move until hot. - Kirk - 06-05-2015

[quote='zukitrek' pid='3822' dateline='1428941760']
Helo Fix. Long time I have not posted. Hope you are doing OK and your family. Well my 5spd tranny is slipping again in the first start of the morning for at least 10min, then the rest of the day is fine.

I had exactly the same problem with my Dodge van's A-727 automatic. Put it into gear in the morning, and it would sit there, and finally gradually engage reverse. I changed fluid, and filter, but it didn't make any difference.

Turns out that the anti-drainback valve in the torque converter was faulty, and would allow the torque converter to empty itself back into the transmission overnight. Not enough of a leak to drain it during the day, it needed all night to drain.

On the A-727, the fluid only pumps through the torque converter in each gear and in neutral, but NOT in park! The solution was to start the car in neutral, which would immediately fill the torque converter, and by the time you were ready to go, it shifted into gear no problemo.

I drove it for years like that, and never did bother to re and re the torque converter to replace the valve.

RE: A/T 4speed fails, car wont move until hot. - fixkick - 06-05-2015

great post on drain back valve. (easy to test , just race motor say at 2000 rpm for 1min or 2, in neutral, shift now? car move now? and not slip? lots of fail paths in A/T boxes. huge.
slipping for 10 full minute (zukitreck)
implies that the AFT is warming up and shifting better.
as you may know , doing a full flush on any AT, after ignored for 21 years as many have (most?) can in fact cause the fluid to scolur off all that junk inside the trans, and make it worse.
in fact the 2004 Tracker book says, "dont do it" says to do repeated drain and fills. to get it all clean , it states that in 2004.

the book (FSM ) is clear:
ON car service. (ill assume the shift linkages is set per the FSM book)
the FSM has a delay test, done during the stall tests. it tells you how many seconds it takes max to get the gear to engage. that too, if failing is unique symptom that may not be cold failure.
if you are not sure how complex this A/T is , then good how to rebuild one, or use youtube and watch the 30 minute sessions, many....

off my page, line pressure 4speed (its not a 5speed sorry)
DATA:
G16, 4speed, line presssure, is:
D-idle=55-63psi., D-stall=166-188psi, R-idle= 73-81psi, and R-stall=202-237
Stall data: Select Drive or Reverse.

RE: A/T 4speed fails, car wont move until hot. - zukitrek - 06-06-2015

Actually that is what Ive been doing since I guessed that it had to somehow warmup in order to move. But lately without doing that it is taking less and less time. And yes my filter was changed back in february and done the 3 D&f method. And Lucas addictive added in april. Now Im in the red and its been like that.

Thanks again Fix and Kirk for posting his experience.