Car Repair Forum
DLC Code 41 - Printable Version

+- Car Repair Forum (https://fixkick.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Suzuki (https://fixkick.com/forum/forum-suzuki)
+--- Forum: Sidekick/Tracker (https://fixkick.com/forum/forum-sidekick-tracker)
+--- Thread: DLC Code 41 (/thread-dlc-code-41)

Pages: 1 2

DLC Code 41 - sina27 - 10-13-2021

hello there

got a 1992 tracker, 8 valve tbi, 2 door, 5 speed, 4WD. 

Just ran a DLC test and got code 41.
 On the kick page, it says:

On the G16 engines, this means the Tachometer wire , brown is dead. (or weak) Suppressor missing, or Tachometer shorted, or bad ignitor or bad spark coil.

What could be the symptoms of this? The car runs but its very rich and idles weird. What is the best way to figure out why this code is being spit out?

RE: DLC Code 41 - sina27 - 10-13-2021

I will be testing the supressor, ignitor, and coil using my multimeter to rule any of them out

RE: DLC Code 41 - fixkick - 10-13-2021

(10-13-2021, 07:15 AM)sina27 Wrote: hello there

On the G16 engines, this means the Tachometer wire , brown is dead. (or weak) Suppressor missing, or Tachometer shorted, or bad ignitor or bad spark coil.

What could be the symptoms of this? The car runs but its very rich and idles weird. What is the best way to figure out why this code is being spit out?
did you clear all DTC errors first buy removing the DOME fuse for 1min and put it bacK(the erases all errors in memory in the ECU)

41 means, the spark coil signal is week, as measured at the brown tachometer wire.
mostly this will show up as gross engine misfire, or worse it will cut all fuel injection
code 41 can also cause the engine to drop to limphome mode.
but misfiring each time it dead, wastes one cylinder for fuel,  and that is rick running.
misfire will cause idle to be wierd and limphome mode kills idle controls.
bad spark coil tops my list .

bad tacho , bad cruise control box.,
the ECU fires the COIL using the  firewall mounted Ingitor transistor, this huge signal there, at coil minus , is sent back to the cab, via supressor and bacome brown tachometer single to tacho meter and cruise control box.
pin A1 is the brown spark monitoring wire, 1 misfire in 6 sets DTC 41.

i made this page long ago,to help (this is simplified, just to show how spark works and not dead sparked or dead CMP(CAS) (DTC 42) can cause fuel injection to end.
41 means A1 has, odd looking signals, (weak or misfiring) most times is bad spark coil. the coil is on the top  engine bay fire wall. CAS = cam angle sensor, CMP is correct name.

[Image: only-for-spark.jpg]

code 41 is for primary side of coil, misfiring, 1 out of 6 times, it can do that.

RE: DLC Code 41 - sina27 - 10-14-2021

(10-13-2021, 08:44 PM)fixkick Wrote:
(10-13-2021, 07:15 AM)sina27 Wrote: hello there

did you clear all DTC errors first buy removing the DOME fuse for 1min and put it bacK(the erases all errors in memory in the ECU)

41 means, the spark coil signal is week, as measured at the brown tachometer wire.
mostly this will show up as gross engine misfire, or worse it will cut all fuel injection
code 41 can also cause the engine to drop to limphome mode.
but misfiring each time it dead, wastes one cylinder for fuel,  and that is rick running.
misfire will cause idle to be wierd and limphome mode kills idle controls.
bad spark coil tops my list .

bad tacho , bad cruise control box.,
the ECU fires the COIL using the  firewall mounted Ingitor transistor, this huge signal there, at coil minus , is sent back to the cab, via supressor and bacome brown tachometer single to tacho meter and cruise control box.
pin A1 is the brown spark monitoring wire, 1 misfire in 6 sets DTC 41.

i made this page long ago,to help (this is simplified, just to show how spark works and not dead sparked or dead CMP(CAS) (DTC 42) can cause fuel injection to end.
41 means A1 has, odd looking signals, (weak or misfiring) most times is bad spark coil. the coil is on the top  engine bay fire wall. CAS = cam angle sensor, CMP is correct name.

[Image: only-for-spark.jpg]

code 41 is for primary side of coil, misfiring, 1 out of 6 times, it can do that.

RE: DLC Code 41 - sina27 - 10-14-2021

I ordered a new ignition coil from NAPA for my tracker. I tested the new coil for resistance (on my bench, out of car). It spat out resistance numbers in line 1994-1995 1.6L engines according to clymers. I specified 1992 8 valve, and on the website it say the part fits, but I guess they are wrong? 

I tested the "old" coil anyways and it passed and gave me values written in the clymers manual. So Im not sure whats wrong. 

I did reset the dome light fuse. I started the car and i got code 12. I went ahead and drove the car for a while, and then retested DLC. Back to code 41.

Since the car is throwing code 41, does this mean for certain that the car is in "limp home" mode, which would explain the rich conditions with lack of power? 

I will trace the brown wire from supressor down to the ECU (terminal A1 i think??? brown connects to blue/yellow wire, correct?)

Is it worth testing igniter or noise supressor?

one thing i did noticed - my tach works, but DURING crank the tach does NOT move. it only gets going once the car is on. Does this mean the issue is wiring? 

RE: DLC Code 41 - fixkick - 10-15-2021

(10-14-2021, 11:56 AM)sina27 Wrote: I ordered a new ignition coil from NAPA for my tracker. I tested the new coil for resistance (on my bench, out of car). It spat out resistance numbers in line 1994-1995 1.6L engines according to clymers. I specified 1992 8 valve, and on the website it say the part fits, but I guess they are wrong? 

I tested the "old" coil anyways and it passed and gave me values written in the clymers manual. So Im not sure whats wrong. 

I did reset the dome light fuse. I started the car and i got code 12. I went ahead and drove the car for a while, and then retested DLC. Back to code 41.

Since the car is throwing code 41, does this mean for certain that the car is in "limp home" mode, which would explain the rich conditions with lack of power? 

I will trace the brown wire from supressor down to the ECU (terminal A1 i think??? brown connects to blue/yellow wire, correct?)

Is it worth testing igniter or noise supressor?

one thing i did noticed - my tach works, but DURING crank the tach does NOT move. it only gets going once the car is on. Does this mean the issue is wiring? 
the silly sidekick car uses same vin code for 8v and 16v making sellers, lazy not asking this and the has both parts. for both engine mixed up. on page
the Tracker is sold with 2 vin, code U and code 6 engine  code) so U = 8valve.  6 = 16valve GM codes both, geo tracker. GM.
most sellers see to be clueless on GM codes. here.
vin location is digit 6 or 8,  (find the U , find location in VIN)  new vin 1996 is longer VIN, so moved this digit to 8th)
ok we now know  41 is real (reset and comes back)

41 can put it into limp home sure, but  will bounce in and out , due to yours fails  only 1 in 6 ignitor FIRings.  error rate, above that fuel is cut, if code 41 sets hard fuel cuts for sure then spark dead. 
no other codes present not CMP dead. as that kills spark and fuel too.

it really can be coil, ignitor, cruise box bad, tachometer input shorting, wires bad, connectors bad or even a lost spark supressor. device, thumb sized back rubber like.
https://www.fixkick.com/IGN_timing/slideshow/images/supressor97w.jpg

on fire wall 96+
or some older near top left shock strut tower, harness short end there.

the coil is the same 91 to 95 , 8v. a coil can arc over inside this old,  unseen, and is old . the factor  p/n is:  below
in 1992/93 to 94 the coil changed Pn, just looked it up in EPC

and 8v coil same as 16v coil but same rules on 92 , 94 change.
33410 is prefix code on all
suffix is 56B10 (92/93)  and 56BL0  (L) is 94/95
1991 same as 92, coil. 8v only care, no 16v
and never older.
you need the 56B10 coil. for sure.

do you have cruise box>? is this 5speed,
is this car modified with alarm boxes then ripped out later, leaving  wiring mess here>? spark primary.

tricks are drive with cruise box plug pulled
trick 2 drive with speedo cable rear pulled. no tacho to fail now.
the tacho and cruise have caps inside them that like to fails this old. dry out and arc inside, (electrolytic caps)
i have all 3000+ p/n per car this car. all of them world wide up to 2004. suzuki only, GM does not sell parts for car , last time I looked.

above schematic is just for spark , functions, only simple to learn how it works\
my schematics page has this.

https://fixkick.com/power-elect/95%20electrics/95FSM-ECU-TBI-tracker.pdf

page 7 and 8 are spark.
the brown wire goes to tacho and cruise. (lost spark causes cruise to go off line for safety as does hitting brakes.)
ECU pin 1 is and INPUT only if dead cuts fuel
pin 1 is called A1 by suzuki and B1 by GM (so do not the A and B fool you) GM did that crazy act. the brown wire is tacho input to ECU,. the COIL + ignitor drives the tachometer.

my key schematics are all here.

https://fixkick.com/schematics-run

41 is serious and will get worse in time. if the coil arc inside it will progress to worse. as it make carbon there. inside.
rusty pins too, get worse.

all of this are a hit

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/geo,1992,tracker,1.6l+l4,1142222,ignition,ignition+coil,7060