Car Repair Forum

Full Version: 91 tracker 8v PS pump no work when cold
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
the power steering no workie when cold.. it whines just like it is empty, but IS NOT. it is right up to the max line.
no power steering until a minute or warm up then all is good.
I removed the filter that sits inside the reservoir, cleaned it and re-installed it.
maybe the previous owner put something different in? i may just flush it all out and put in?? what??? synthetic??
i jist thought of something.. wonder if a ps hose is bad , inside, restricted??
air in the system.?
all ATF is syn, so dont pay extra for that. (syn in , usa only means groupIII base oil, )
do use fresh dexron III or higher.
no loose belt.
get air out by front wheels off ground, engine idling. and spin steering wheel full left and right like a wild man.
in hard nut cases, a cap with vacuum fitting , and hand vac tool , cures them all.

i hope your hoses are good. that would be not fun.
pg 9-21 (pdf 125)
http://www.fixkick.com/All-Pdfs/Other-Ma...manual.pdf
the fluid in it now is clear.. maybe someone put ps fluid in it, but i think i'll flush it all out and stat with dextron..
that's not dexton/
must be wrong,
red

official spec;
1136 DEXRON
OK I removed the reservoir and placed a funnel into the inlet hose. extended the outlet hose down to the ground into a 5 gallon bucket.

wife started little tracker and spun steering to and fro left to right lock. ( thank you Cindy)

I poured 4 quarts of dextron into funnel slowly and purged entire system of WHO KNOWS WHAT?? MOTOR OIL??? WTF

Now in morning I have POWER STEERING

NO GROAN AND MOAN.....
all is good.. and steers better than it ever did hahahahha
TODAY I unlocked the front hubs... spring is coming!!

Now if I can just get the snow tires off and summer will be here???HuhHuh
might be the work of kwicklube joints.
im sorry someone did this to your car,

wow, it works like new. so glad for you.
thanks.
it worked good until the weather got cold.. tomorrow morning will be 11 F so I will try it!!